menu

Blog

Coworkers: Friends or Merely Working Partners?

Blog

|

Nov 1, 2018

article image

Above all, a fun working environment is one of the indicators that triggers the employees to enjoy their work and to give innovative ideas for the company. Furthermore, it's possible for coworkers to be involved in a friendship. But, is it applicable to everyone?

The recent survey from Olivet Nazarene University on August 2018 revealed those 82 percent respondents who collaborate with the coworkers, only 15 percent consider the coworkers as "real friends".

Similarly, most of the respondents (41 percent) consider them as merely the "coworker". Meanwhile, 20 percent believe that they are just "friend-at-office", 22 percent consider them as "stranger", and the rest 2 percent consider their coworkers as "enemies".

Interestingly, among 3,000 employees in the US, there is only 5 percent who really consider their coworkers as a friend.

More to Read : 4 Workplace Trends the HR Need to Adapt

What Triggers Them to Be "Friend"

There are some factors triggering this situation For example, in the working industry, the most coworkers become a friend is in the transportation industry with a 10 score. Next, the second position is the finance or banking with 8 scores.

Furthermore, the accountant also has similar scores (8), and lastly the advertising/PR/marketing with 7 scores. Certainly, it's really influenced by the interaction or their working flow.

On the other hand, the industry with the least friend from a coworker is in the legal and real estate, with only 3 percent conformity.

Likewise, there are other factors contributing to the friendship among the coworkers. If we analyze it in terms of workspace, those who work in many places like sales with high mobility has higher real friends with 7 average score.

After that, the respondent is followed by those who work in the cubicle with 6 scores. Then, who is the least worker with a real friend? Certainly, it’s for those who work from home. Without direct interaction with others, consequently, their score is just 3.

Overall, 76 percent of the employees are satisfied with their co-workers' number. But from the rest 24 percent, they demand more coworkers, meanwhile, the 4 others feel that it's too much. In accordance with that, those who feel the coworkers are too many are the food and beverage workers.

More to Read : Millennials Generation, the Risk Taker in Working

How Long the Friendship Formed?

Another appealing thing to be analyzed is how long the friendship formed. According to the respondent, 58 percent said that they would befriend within days or weeks. There are only 27 percent workers who need more than 6 months to be in friendship.

The most conducive industry to befriend is the insurance, marketing, restaurant, real estate, to retail. On the other hand, for those who work in healthcare, finance, PR, government, and engineering need more time to make a friend.

Once they become friends, there's no barrier of what to discuss. Moreover, sensitive issues like love story could be the topic for 58 percent workers. Furthermore, 69 percent among them will introduce their significant other to the coworker. Meanwhile, the financial issue is 33 percent, and interestingly, 64 percent will talk about the conflict with other coworkers.

Other appealing facts from the survey are when the friendship is becoming solid, 10 percent of the respondent could resign from the company following his or her friend who did the same.

Also, about 59 percent admits that they ask their friend to work in the same company. Likewise, 62 percent hang out with the coworker after the working hour. Around 20 percent do it every week, and 41 percent a couple times in a month.

The most spotlight-stealer from the research conducted by the US university is the short-term relationship. Even more, only 18 percent respondent admit that they are still communicating with the resigned friend.

Meanwhile, 55 percent of them in touch a little with the friend they no longer work with, and the rest 27 percent admit that they seldom communicate after separating.

How is it? Feels familiar with your situation?

More to Read : Things that You Should Never Tell Your Cowoker

Discover the power of TalentMind

Demo Now

keyboard_arrow_right