The world is changing, where advanced technology, emerging market, cultural evolution, and generation turnover has breakdown the old time barrier of geographical distance and create a complex industrial ecosystem.
In the midst of these changes, the concept and diversity and inclusion has become more popular and ever. The leaders and executives from all kind of industries have starting to apply both concepts in their organization as a means to drive continued growth.
Diversity s is a collective mixture of difference and similarities that was both visible and invisible. The visible traits of diversity refer to the difference that can be easily seen such as gender, age, and race. The invisible traits of diversity go for something such as education, experience, socio-economic status, and religion.
Inclusion is an environment where everyone with different traits of diversity received fair treatment, have equal access to the facility, and no restriction on how they can contribute to the organization’s success.
Diversity and inclusion is a different concept. Some organizations may have made a great effort to bring diversity into its work environment but fail to create the inclusion part, which will lead to disappointing outcomes.
Diversity and inclusion created dissent, which will challenge each other more. This kind of challenge will stop the organization from being too insular and unable to adapt to the increasingly heterogeneous customer result. Diversity also brings more idea to help people get any deep inquiries and breakthrough, which will do well for the organization itself.
There are a couple of things that an organization can do to build a diversity inclusion work environment, such as:
- Start with creating a strategy that aligns with all the things that employees find valuable and rewarding, which will attract top talent from all corner of the world.
- Create an intentional approach on its talent management system. It means the talent management system needs to create something that will make it an employer of choice. What kind of philosophy that will fertilize the work environment? What kind of thing that the organization can do to challenge a belief that didn’t align with the organization’s value, and so on.
- Focus on the organization mission and not on whose working on it. It will create the bridge to connect all parties, where the young will learn from their senior and the senior will be open to more suggestion.
- Be an example. The leader needs to show to everyone that they are more flexible and open to new idea. A flexible work arrangement such as open up more space for work-from-home that allows top talent to contribute something to the organization even though they are living in the different area or a different part of the world.
- Create communication strategies that open to any feedback from everyone in the organization. This kind of strategy will be able to serve diversity background so everyone will feel that their voice is heard, which will make them feel appreciated.
- Providing access to training and leadership opportunities for everyone, especially minorities and underrepresented group to boost their confidence, skill, and also craft a more diverse and inclusive environment.
More to Read : How Google Build a Superstar Team